Where is training available from
Contact the following organisations for information about training that is available:
- local business support organisations, including your local council
- the ICAEW, ACCA, ICAS or Chartered Accountants Ireland
- the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT)
- commercial organisations such as SWAT UK
Contact any of the professional accountancy bodies for details of training programmes leading to qualification as a chartered or certified accountant.
The AAT offers a range of courses for those wishing to work in accounting and finance alongside chartered accountants. The AAT offers:
- Bookkeeping qualifications, level one to level three
- Computerised Accounting qualifications, level one to level three
- four accounting qualifications ranging from a Foundation Certificate in Accounting to a Professional Diploma in Accounting
There is a large number of commercial organisations such as SWAT UK which offer training and Continuing Professional Development (CPD) courses.
Local colleges will be able to give you details of courses which may be of interest to your support staff such as:
- vocational qualifications in subjects such as Business Administration, Payroll or Customer Service
- City and Guilds qualifications in Computerised Accounts, Book-Keeping and Accounting, and Providing Financial Services
Learndirect is a free service which can advise on training and personnel development. It can provide details of qualifications and skills relevant to your type of business, give you an outline of appropriate training courses and advise where to go for such training in your area. Visit the Learndirect website or telephone 0800 101 901
National Careers Service
The National Careers Service provides background information and job profiles for a very wide range of careers and helps users to find details of skills requirements, relevant occupational training courses and available qualifications. Visit their website to find out more.