Industry sector:

Architect: Training


If you want to call yourself an architect you must be registered with the Architects' Registration Board (ARB). To be eligible to register you must have obtained:

  • an ARB recognised first degree or diploma (Part 1)
  • an ARB recognised second degree or diploma (Part 2) and
  • an ARB recognised professional qualification (Part 3), taken after two years practical experience

Recognised courses are those which have been validated by the ARB in association with the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) and are offered by schools of architecture throughout the UK. These are listed on the ARB website. You'll also be required to follow a program of continuing professional development.

You can find more about qualifying as an architect on the RIBA website.

Architectural technologist

If you want to become a member of the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT) (either a Chartered Architectural Technologist or a professionally qualified Architectural Technician) the usual route is to obtain a recognised qualification such as:

  • a degree in architectural technology
  • an alternative CIAT approved higher level qualification (Higher National Diploma)
  • a Foundation degree in architectural technology (or construction equivalent)

This would then be followed by a period during which you would obtain practical experience under supervision. Members must comply with CIAT requirements for continuing professional development. Full details are available on the CIAT website.


You might consider arranging for your staff to train for a qualification in computer aided draughting and design.

You can contact any one of the following who will be able to give you details of what training is available:

  • local business support organisations
  • local colleges
  • the ARB
  • the RIBA
  • the CIAT
  • the UCAS website

There has been an increase in demand for buildings to be designed to Passivhaus standards. There are two training courses that might be of interest to you:

  • Certified Passivhaus Designer Course
  • Passivhaus Tradespersons Course (for contractors and builders)

These courses are available from various private training providers.

Note that the Control of Asbestos Regulations require employers to make sure that any employee who is liable to be exposed to asbestos - or who supervises other employees who are exposed - is adequately trained to deal with this potential hazard. A list of asbestos training providers is available on the United Kingdom Asbestos Training Association (UKATA) website.


Learndirect is a free service which can advise on training and personnel development. It can provide details of qualifications and skills relevant to your type of business, give you an outline of appropriate training courses and advise where to go for such training in your area. Visit the Learndirect website or telephone 0800 101 901

National Careers Service

The National Careers Service provides background information and job profiles for a very wide range of careers and helps users to find details of skills requirements, relevant occupational training courses and available qualifications. Visit their website to find out more.