Industry sector: Consumer services

Aerial installer: Insurance

When you start up in business you'll need insurance cover. Contact an insurer and explain exactly how the business will operate - they'll then be able to recommend what cover you should have. This should include:

  • public liability
  • employer's liability (if you have any employees)
  • motor insurance (for business vehicles), possibly with cover for goods and equipment carried in your vehicles

It might also include:

  • professional and contract indemnity
  • product liability
  • legal expenses cover
  • tools, equipment and plant
  • personal cover - including accident and injury, loss of earnings and so on
  • business interruption
  • premises and premises contents (if you have any premises)

When you're taking out personal and employer's liability cover it's particularly important to give precise details of the types of activity that you and any staff you employ will be engaging in. Be prepared to answer questions about the type of work you'll be doing, the height at which you'll be working, where you'll be working, the type of tools and equipment you'll be using, your health and safety policy and so on.

Insurance premiums can usually be paid in an annual lump or in instalments. Your insurer will be able to advise you of the amounts due - enter them in the month or months when you will pay them.

Business insurance policies for businesses like aerial installers whose activities involve working at height can be costly, so it would be a good idea to get some quotes at an early stage in your planning. Shop around to get the best cover at the most affordable price.

The Confederation of Aerial Industries (CAI) offers access to bespoke business insurance for its members that is specially tailored to meet the needs of the aerial industry. The CAI requires its members to have a certain level of public liability and, if applicable, employer's liability insurance. You can find out more on the CAI website.