Industry sector: Retail and wholesale

Architectural salvage: Training

There's no training available specifically for architectural salvage specialists - but there are lots of courses and qualifications in relevant subjects that could be beneficial to both you and your staff.

In particular, craft training and vocational qualifications are available in subjects that include:

  • stonemasonry and architectural stonework
  • joinery and fine woodwork
  • landscaping and garden design
  • building and architectural conservation
  • blacksmithing and metalwork
  • furniture making and restoration

Vocational qualifications are also available in various aspects of business administration, retailing, and general business management.

The Institute of Conservation (ICON) can provide information about training available in conservation techniques for conservators working with items made from materials such as glass, wood, metal and stone. There is more information on the ICON website.

The Building Crafts College in Stratford, London, offers a range of vocational courses in woodworking and stonemasonry. For more information, visit the Building Crafts College website.

The Building Conservation website has a directory of specialist courses and training providers that may be useful. Searchable databases of vocational qualifications in many different craft and business subjects are available on the City & Guilds and Pearson/Edexcel websites.

Training in specialist heritage building techniques is available from the National Heritage Training Group (NHTG), which has information about relevant training, bursaries and qualifications on its website.

Creative & Cultural Skills is the skills body for industries in the craft, design and cultural heritage sectors. The website contains details of the National Skills Academy for Creative and Cultural, as well as information about apprenticeship schemes that might be of interest.

Training in demolition techniques

If you intend to become involved in demolishing and dismantling buildings then you and your employees will need to be properly trained in demolition techniques. The National Demolition Training Group (NDTG) organises specialist training courses for businesses and individuals involved in the demolition industry. More information, including course and qualification details, is available on their website. The NDTG website also includes information about nationally recognised vocational qualifications in demolition techniques and the certificate of competence card scheme for workers in the demolition industry.

Plant operator safety training

Health and safety legislation requires operators of construction plant like demolition machinery to be properly trained and qualified. Several different qualification schemes are available, including the Construction Plant Competence Scheme (CPCS) run by CITB, and the Independent Training Standards Scheme and Register (ITSSAR). Qualified operatives get a skills card which shows their level of experience and qualifications. Skills cards are available for plant operators and others who work with or alongside plant machinery.

Accredited training courses are available from further education colleges and specialist training providers throughout the UK. You can find out more about the CPCS operator certification scheme - including a national list of training providers - on the CITB website.


Learndirect is a free service which can advise on training and personnel development. It can provide details of qualifications and skills relevant to your type of business, give you an outline of appropriate training courses and advise where to go for such training in your area. Visit the Learndirect website or telephone 0800 101 901

National Careers Service

The National Careers Service provides background information and job profiles for a very wide range of careers and helps users to find details of skills requirements, relevant occupational training courses and available qualifications. Visit their website to find out more.