Industry sector:

Poultry farm: Licences

What action do I need to take?

You should be aware of the following:

  • breeding or hatchery operations are required to be registered with the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) or the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) in Northern Ireland. This applies to holdings with breeding flocks of 250 or more birds, or hatcheries with incubator capacity of 1,000 or more eggs
  • all laying hen establishments with 350 birds or more must register with the APHA or DAERA
  • all broiler flocks must be notified to the APHA
  • all commercial premises with 50 or more birds must register with the APHA for inclusion on the Great Britain Poultry Register
  • poultry farms above a certain size (more than 40,000 places for poultry) must obtain a permit to operate from the Environment Agency in England, Natural Resources Wales, the Northern Ireland Environment Agency, or the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) in Scotland

Your local trading standards department will be able to give you more information about the action you need to take.

If your business will prepare, store and sell food (that is, if you process your eggs or poultrymeat to add value) you will need to register with your local authority environmental health department. They will inspect your premises and help you to comply with the requirements of the Food Safety Act. You should contact your local authority early on in your planning so that you register in good time. There is no charge for registering.