Industry sector:

Car alarm fitter: Licences

Although there are no licences that relate specifically to installing vehicle alarms and related accessories, you should be aware that if you play music in your retail shop or workshop, you're likely to need licences from PRS for Music and PPL.

Vehicle insurance registration

Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) requires that a vehicle must have a valid insurance policy in almost all circumstances. So it's recommended good practice to make sure that you upload to the Motor Insurance Database details of all customers' vehicles that you are planning to drive under your trade motor insurance policy. This will minimise the risk of you being stopped by the police and the vehicle being seized if the owner has failed to put in place their own insurance policy. The askMID website has more details about CIE.

Waste carrier registration for mobile fitters

You will need to register as a lower tier waste carrier (England, Wales and Northern Ireland) or a professional collector or transporter of waste (Scotland) if you operate as a mobile fitter/repairer and carry away waste that you generate during the course of an installation or repair. Registration is free of charge and lasts indefinitely.

Waste carrier registration is carried out by:

  • the Environment Agency in England
  • Natural Resources Wales
  • the Scottish Environment Protection Agency
  • the Northern Ireland Environment Agency