Industry sector:

Car valeter: Insurance

When you start up in business you will need insurance cover. Contact an insurer and explain how your business will operate. They will then be able to recommend what cover you should have, which might include:

  • employer's liability
  • public liability
  • premises, premises contents and stock
  • cash
  • business interruption
  • motor insurance (for mobile valeting vehicles)
  • insurance cover for customer's cars while they're being valeted, including indemnity against accidental damage caused during the course of valeting operations
  • insurance to cover driving customers' cars

A motor trade policy would cover you and your staff to drive any vehicle at any time. However, if your business doesn't involve buying and selling vehicles then you may not need a full motor trade policy. A specialist car valeter's policy could give you the level of comprehensive cover you need at a lower cost. Check whether or not you're fully covered when a vehicle is being driven on private land - at your premises rather than on a public road, for example.

Premiums may be paid in a lump or they may be paid in instalments. Your insurer will be able to advise you of the amounts due - enter them in the months when you will pay them.

As with many other items of business expenditure, you can often save money by shopping around. Although many insurers can offer a complete package of business insurances, often at a competitive price, remember that you don't have to take out all of your business insurance policies with the same insurer. Many commercial insurers specialise in the motor trade and some have specialist experience of providing cover for valeters.