Where is training available from
You can contact the following organisations for information about training that is available:
- Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI), the skills body for the motor industry
- the National Body Repair Association (NBRA)
- Remit, which offers structured apprenticeships in disciplines that include vehicle body repair and painting as well as automotive servicing
- Thatcham Research
- local business support organisations, including your local council
- local colleges
Vehicle repair and restoration qualifications
There are a number of vocational qualifications in subjects which might be relevant to your business, including:
- Automotive body repair
- Automotive refinishing
- Vehicle accident body repair
- Light vehicle maintenance and repair
- Customer service for the automotive industry
The IMI is responsible for setting national standards and developing qualifications and apprenticeships for all sectors of the industry and administers various classic car restoration vocational qualifications. For further information, including details of any apprenticeship grants available, visit the IMI and IMI Awards websites. General information about apprenticeships and funding is available on the Gov.uk website.
Thatcham offers a variety of training options and accreditation in areas that include paint, body panels, trim, and damage assessment. Thatcham's Automotive Academy is a leading provider of skills training to the motor repair industry and one of the largest training facilities of its kind in the UK. You can find out more on the Thatcham website.
Learndirect is a free service which can advise on training and personnel development. It can provide details of qualifications and skills relevant to your type of business, give you an outline of appropriate training courses and advise where to go for such training in your area. Visit the Learndirect website or telephone 0800 101 901
National Careers Service
The National Careers Service provides background information and job profiles for a very wide range of careers and helps users to find details of skills requirements, relevant occupational training courses and available qualifications. Visit their website to find out more.