Industry sector:

Driveways and patios: Insurance

When you start up in business you will need insurance cover. Contact an insurer and explain how your business will operate. They will be able to recommend what cover you should have, which might include:

  • employer's liability
  • public liability
  • professional and contract indemnity
  • product liability
  • legal expenses cover
  • tools, plant, equipment and materials on site
  • motor insurance (for business vehicles), possibly with cover for goods and equipment carried in your vehicles
  • personal cover - accident and injury, loss of earnings and so on
  • business interruption
  • premises, premises contents (if you have any premises)

When taking out personal and employer's liability cover it is particularly important to give precise details of the types of activity that you and any staff will be engaging in. Be prepared to answer questions about the type of materials and equipment you will be using, your health and safety policy and so on.

Premiums may be paid in a lump or they may be paid in instalments. Your insurer will be able to advise you of the amounts due - enter them in the months when you will pay them.

Some trade associations offer their members competitively priced business insurance that's tailored to meet the needs of their particular industry. For example, the British Association of Landscape Industries (BALI) offers specialist business insurance services to members through BALI Insure - find out more on their website.