Industry sector: Consumer services

Burglar alarm fitter: Insurance

When you start up in business you will need insurance cover. Contact an insurer and explain to him or her exactly how your business will operate - they will then recommend what cover you should have. This might include:

  • premises, premises contents and stock (if you have any premises)
  • cash
  • business interruption
  • employer's liability
  • public liability
  • product liability
  • motor insurance (for business vehicles), possibly with cover for tools and equipment carried in your vehicles
  • personal cover - accident and injury, loss of earnings and so on

Premiums may be paid in a lump or they may be paid in instalments. Your insurer will be able to advise you of the amounts due - enter them in the months when you will pay them.

If you're a member of a trade association, you may be able to get discounted rates of business insurance. For example, members of the British Security Industry Association (BSIA) can get a 10% discount through the BSIA's preferred partner. There's more information on the BSIA website.