Industry sector: Consumer services

Burglar alarm fitter: Licences

What action do I need to take?

At present there are no licensing requirements relating specifically to security alarm fitters. However if you offer 'key holding' services (including sending an alarm response officer when an alarm system is triggered) you will need to be licensed by the Security Industry Authority (SIA). In addition, if you operate an alarm receiving centre, there may also be a requirement to be licensed by the SIA if the nature of your role falls within the definition of manned guarding. You can find out more about the licensing scheme and the future of security regulation on the SIA website.

Voluntary certification

Many would-be customers will want to satisfy themselves that your business does good quality work using suitable equipment. One way of demonstrating your commitment to quality is to become an approved contractor of a scheme operated by the NSI or SSAIB. (These are assessing bodies that are approved by the SIA. You can find more details on the SIA website.) This will involve meeting the requirements of the police, fire authorities and insurance industry and complying with relevant British and European Standards. Only alarm businesses that are accredited by the NSI or SSAIB are able to install and maintain remotely monitored alarm systems.

Waste carrier registration

You will need to register as a lower tier waste carrier (England, Wales and Northern Ireland) or a professional collector or transporter of waste (Scotland) if you carry away any waste that you generate when you fit a security system. Lower tier registration is free of charge and lasts indefinitely.

Waste carrier registration is carried out by:

  • the Environment Agency in England
  • Natural Resources Wales
  • the Scottish Environment Protection Agency
  • the Northern Ireland Environment Agency

You should also be aware of the following:

  • if credit facilities are offered to consumers you will need consumer credit authorisation from the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
  • if you keep computerised records of individuals' personal details and/or use CCTV you may be required to register as a data user with the Information Commissioner's Office
  • if you have a showroom or shop and provide background music you will probably need a Music Licence from PPL PRS Ltd