Where is training available from
Contact the following organisations for information about training that is available:
- the British Antique Furniture Restorers' Association (BAFRA)
- the Institute of Conservation (ICON), which has a training directory and other information about training on its website
- the Engine Shed
- Creative and Cultural Skills, the skills body for the creative and cultural industries, including craft, cultural heritage and design
- local business support organisations, including your local council
City & Guilds vocational qualifications
The City & Guilds vocational qualifications cover a wide range of different activities relevant to furniture restorers, including:
- Design and Craft (levels 1 to 4)
- Furniture and Furnishings - covering design, production techniques, upholstery and restoration (levels 1 to 3)
- Furniture, Furnishings and Woodmachining (levels 1 to 3)
You can find out more about these and other qualifications on the City & Guilds website.
College courses and BAFRA
There are several colleges in the UK which offer specialist courses in furniture conservation and restoration. Some of these colleges are affiliated with BAFRA and students at these colleges can join BAFRA's student section.
BAFRA themselves have an educational remit to enhance the skills and knowledge of their membership. They also organise training days, teaching seminars and conferences for members in various specialist subjects such as veneering and marquetry. You can find out more and get contact details on the BAFRA website.
Diplomas in furniture making and restoration
West Dean College in Chichester is BAFRA-affiliated and offers a two-year Foundation Degree in Historic Craft Practices. The course is aimed at students who do not have extensive woodworking experience. A one year Postgraduate Diploma in Conservation of Furniture and Related Objects is available for students who already have experience and/or have completed an appropriate qualification. Various specialist short courses are also available for professional conservators, furniture makers and restorers. You can find out more on the West Dean College website.
Learndirect is a free service which can advise on training and personnel development. It can provide details of qualifications and skills relevant to your type of business, give you an outline of appropriate training courses and advise where to go for such training in your area. Visit the Learndirect website or telephone 0800 101 901
National Careers Service
The National Careers Service provides background information and job profiles for a very wide range of careers and helps users to find details of skills requirements, relevant occupational training courses and available qualifications. Visit their website to find out more.