Industry sector: Consumer services

Furniture restorer: VAT

Furniture restorers and VAT

Furniture restoration and other similar restoration/conservation services are standard rated for VAT, as are sales of antiques. You will have to register for VAT if your taxable sales are likely to be above the current VAT threshold. You will then have to charge VAT at the standard rate on the services you provide and goods you sell - this is known as 'output tax'. You will be able to reclaim any VAT you pay on purchases - this is known as 'input tax'.

Every quarter you will pay HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) the difference between:

  • all the output tax you have charged
  • all the input tax you have paid on your purchases

Nearly all businesses have to pay their VAT bill electronically - for example by direct debit or online banking. HMRC allows you some time at the end of each quarter before you have to pay the VAT due. So, for example, the VAT due on sales made in months one, two and three would be paid at the end of month four. Your VAT return will show your payment deadline date.

Businesses that are having trouble making their VAT payments, or are worried that future payments will cause them problems, can ask for help from the HMRC Business Payment Support Service. If your business needs this financial assistance to tide it over, HMRC will look at your situation and discuss temporary options that could help out. These could include letting you make payments over a longer period and waiving late payment surcharges. To discuss payment problems with HMRC you can call the Business Payment Support Service Helpline on 0300 200 3835.

If you plan to sell antiques yourself you might want to use the secondhand margin scheme. This allows you to calculate how much VAT is due by reference to the difference between what you pay for the antiques and what you sell them for (your 'margin') instead of on the full retail value of the antiques. The margin includes the VAT due.

Further information

Contact the VAT Helpline on 0300 200 3700 to request further guidance if you need it. Helpful leaflets including VAT Notice 700/1 Should I be registered for VAT? and Notice 718 The VAT Margin Scheme and global accounting are available on the website.

You will have estimated your monthly sales income. Now decide whether you must register for VAT. If so, estimate the approximate amount of VAT that you will have to pay every quarter.

Alternative flat rate scheme

You might be interested in an optional flat rate scheme (FRS) for eligible small businesses. Under this scheme you continue to issue tax invoices to VAT registered customers, but the VAT payable every quarter is calculated as a percentage of your VAT-inclusive turnover. You apply the appropriate flat rate percentage for your type of business. This scheme cannot be used with the retail schemes, the margin scheme for secondhand goods or the cash accounting scheme. You can find full details of the FRS, who can use it, and the flat rate percentages in VAT Notice 733, Flat rate scheme for small businesses. It will help you to decide whether or not the scheme is suitable for you.

Small restoration businesses and VAT

It would be pretty good going for restorer/conservator working alone to turn over more than the VAT threshold in a year. So you may not need to register for VAT. You won't be able to reclaim the VAT you pay on your purchases, but you won't have to charge VAT to your customers. And you'll be able to avoid the extra paperwork involved.

More information