Industry sector: Consumer services

Pest control: Rent

Enter in your cash flow forecast the amount of rent you will have to pay for your premises (if you have any) in the months that you will have to pay it.

If you have not yet decided on a particular premises you could contact a local estate agent who handles commercial property to get an idea of how much the rent is likely to be. You should have already given some consideration to the type and location of the business premises that you will require, so they will be able to give you some guidance as to how much you will have to pay.

As you'll actually be doing your work out at the sites where you deal with infestations, your premises requirements will probably be focused on storage for your equipment and materials. You might also require some office space for carrying out administrative tasks.

Your premises should have an area where pesticides and chemicals can be stored safely and securely. You may require special features like bunding to prevent contamination in the event of a chemical leak or spillage.

Bear in mind also that if your premises are open to members of the public, they should be accessible to customers and staff who are disabled.

Your solicitor will help you with the lease agreement but make sure that you are clear about:

  • whether the premises can be used for the purposes you have in mind
  • how frequently the rent will be reviewed
  • how long the lease runs for
  • what you and the landlord are each responsible for
  • the position as regards sub-letting

It may be the case that your can run your business from home - perhaps your own or a business partner's. But be aware that all of the safe storage requirements for pesticides and chemicals still apply, and that it may not be practical or possible to use domestic premises for storing anything more than small amounts of these.