Industry sector:

Aromatherapist: Insurance

When you start up in business you will need insurance cover. Contact an insurer and explain to him or her exactly how your practice will operate - the insurer will then recommend what cover you should have. This might include:

  • professional indemnity
  • practice rooms, equipment and stock
  • cash
  • business interruption
  • employer's liability
  • public liability
  • product liability
  • motor insurance (for business vehicles)

Premiums may be paid in a lump or they may be paid in instalments. Your insurer will be able to advise you of the amounts due - enter them in the months when you will pay them.

To be registered with a voluntary regulator - either the General Regulatory Council For Complementary Therapies (GRCCT) or the Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC) - you'll need to take out professional indemnity and public liability insurance.

Industry bodies such as the International Federation of Professional Aromatherapists (IFPA) and Complementary Health Professionals have negotiated special insurance packages for their members. Visit their websites for more details.