Industry sector:

Dental lab: Insurance

When you start up in business you will need insurance cover. Contact an insurer and explain to him or her exactly how the business will operate - the insurer will then recommend what cover you should have. This might include:

  • professional indemnity
  • premises, premises contents
  • raw materials, work in progress, stock (including precious metals)
  • goods in transit, including appliances sent out by mail order or courier
  • employers liability
  • public and product liability
  • motor insurance (for delivery vehicles)

Contact the Dental Laboratories Association (DLA) for details of specialist tailored policies for dental laboratories.

Visit the UK Special Risks website for details of insurance packages tailored for dental laboratories. Discounts are available for members of the DLA, the Dental Technologists Association (DTA) and the Dental Appliance Manufacturers Audit Scheme (DAMAS).

Premiums may be paid in a lump or they may be paid in instalments. Your insurer will be able to advise you of the amounts due - enter them in the months when you will pay them.