Industry sector:

Chinese catering: Insurance

When you start up in business you will need insurance cover. Contact an insurer and explain how your business will operate. They will then be able to recommend what cover you should have. This might include:

  • employer's liability
  • public and product liability, including food poisoning indemnity
  • premises, premises contents and stock, including cover for plate glass windows
  • freezer breakdown
  • cash
  • business interruption
  • visitors' belongings
  • personal assault on proprietor or staff
  • motor insurance (for delivery vehicles)

Premiums may be paid in a lump or they may be paid in instalments. Your insurer will be able to advise you of the amounts due - enter them in the months when you will pay them.

As with many other items of business expenditure, you can often save money by shopping around. Although many insurers can offer a complete package of business insurances, often at a competitive price, remember that you don't have to take out all of your insurance policies with the same insurer.

Bear in mind that some trade associations offer specialist business insurance packages for restaurants at discounted prices for their members.