Industry sector:

Ice cream parlour: Insurance

When you start up in business you will need insurance cover. Contact an insurer and explain how your business will operate. They will then be able to recommend what cover you should have, which might include:

  • employer's liability
  • public liability
  • product liability, including cover for food poisoning
  • premises - including plate glass windows
  • premises contents and stock, including cover for refrigerator or freezer breakdown
  • failure of gas, water or electricity
  • goods in transit (being collected or delivered)
  • cash
  • business interruption
  • loss of alcohol licence (if you have one)
  • customers' belongings
  • motor insurance (for delivery vehicles)

Premiums may be paid in a lump or they may be paid in instalments. Your insurer will be able to advise you of the amounts due - enter them in the months when you will pay them.

Bear in mind that some trade associations for the catering industry offer their members specialist business insurance packages at discounted prices. For example, the British Hospitality Association offers members specialist business insurance services through its partner insurers, while the Nationwide Caterers Association (NCASS) offers discounted-rate insurance services to businesses like cafes and take-aways. Visit their websites to find out more.