Industry sector:

Public house: Insurance

When you start up in business you will need insurance cover. Contact an insurer and explain to him or her exactly how your business will operate - they will then recommend what cover you should have. This might include:

  • employer's liability
  • public and products liability
  • premises, fixtures and fittings, glass breakage and stock
  • audio visual and lighting equipment
  • loss of licence
  • freezer breakdown
  • cash
  • business interruption
  • motor insurance
  • goods in transit (for example on the way back from a cash and carry)

Premiums may be paid in a lump or they may be paid in instalments. Your insurer will be able to advise you of the amounts due - enter them in the months when you will pay them.

There are a number of companies which offer policies tailored to the needs of the licensed trade. You should obtain several quotes for comparison purposes.

Members of the British Institute of Innkeeping (BII) can benefit from tailored business insurance packages.