Industry sector: Leisure

Pony trekking: Insurance

When you start up in business you will need insurance cover. Contact an insurer and explain to them exactly how your business will operate - they will then recommend what cover you should have. This might include:

  • horses and ponies
  • premises, premises contents (including tack/saddlery) and feedstuffs
  • cash
  • business interruption
  • employer's liability
  • public liability. (The 1970 Riding Establishments Act specifies that the licence holder must have current public liability insurance.)
  • personal accident
  • motor insurance (for vehicles)
  • horsebox cover

You should make clear in your terms that riders should take out their own personal accident insurance.

Premiums may be paid in a lump or they may be paid in instalments. Your insurer will be able to advise you of the amounts due - enter them in the months when you will pay them.

The British Horse Society (BHS) can give guidance on insurance matters. All BHS Approved Establishments are eligible for discounts on insurance arranged through a preferred insurer.

More information