Industry sector: Retail and wholesale

Butcher: Licences

What action do I need to take?

Because your shop will prepare, store and sell food you will need to register with your local environmental health department. They will inspect your premises and help you to comply with the requirements of the Food Safety Act and regulations. You should contact your local authority early on in your planning so that you register in good time - you'll need to register at least 28 days before you start any food operations. There is no charge for registering.

Selling game

Apart from in Scotland, you don't need a licence to sell game, although you must make sure that any game bird or venison you sell was lawfully killed. Venison dealers in Scotland still need to hold a venison licence, although generally the need to have a licence only applies to wholesalers - retailers who buy venison only from a licensed dealer don't need to have a licence themselves.

Is that all I need to do?

If you plan to play background music in your shop you will probably need a Music Licence from PPL PRS Ltd. There is an annual fee for this which you can pay online on the PPL PRS website.