Industry sector: Retail and wholesale

Ebay trader: Insurance

When you start up in business you will need insurance cover. Contact an insurer and explain to him or her exactly how your business will operate - they will then recommend what cover you should have.

If you intend to run your eBay business from home remember to notify your household insurer.

Your insurance cover might include:

  • premises (if you have any) and stock
  • business interruption
  • public and product liability
  • motor insurance, including goods in transit (you might, for example, use a van for regular buying trips)
  • employer's liability if you employ any staff

If you're buying and selling vehicles then you'll need motor trader's insurance cover.

Premiums may be paid in a lump or they may be paid in instalments. Your insurer will be able to advise you of the amounts due - enter them in the months when you will pay them.

Note that eBay recommends that sellers always insure international packages if these are not already covered by the carrier. Some carriers automatically include insurance up to a certain value limit. Make sure that all parcels are properly packaged or your insurance will be invalid.