Industry sector: Retail and wholesale

Health shop: Insurance

When you start up in business you will need insurance cover. Contact an insurer and explain how your business will operate. They will then be able to recommend what cover you should have, which might include:

  • employer's liability
  • public liability
  • product liability, including food poisoning cover (particularly important if cafe or takeaway food is offered)
  • incorrect/wrongful advice indemnity
  • premises, premises contents and stock
  • plate glass window damage
  • goods in transit (for example on the way back from a supplier)
  • freezer/chiller breakdown
  • cash
  • business interruption
  • motor insurance (for delivery vehicles)

Premiums may be paid in a lump or they may be paid in instalments. Your insurer will be able to advise you of the amounts due - enter them in the months when you will pay them.