Industry sector: Retail and wholesale

Lingerie shop: Licences

There are no licensing requirements relating specifically to lingerie retailers.

Be aware though that if background music is played in the shop then you will probably need a Music Licence from PPL PRS Ltd. There is an annual fee for this which you can pay online on the PPL PRS website.

In most parts of the UK, adult sex shops need a licence from their local authority and must stick to certain licensing conditions covering things like window displays. However, a typical lingerie shop - even one selling erotic lingerie - would not need a sex shop licence. The great majority of Ann Summers shops, for example, are not licensed. If you're in any doubt though it's best to contact your local authority trading standards department to make sure.