There are a number of services that you might consider introducing. Some will generate income and others will help to boost footfall, for example:
- Lottery ticket and scratch card sales (National Lottery and/or Health Lottery)
- DVD rental
- PayPoint terminal
- cash machine
- CollectPlus parcel services
- free glass loan
- sale or return on large orders (for example for functions and parties)
- free local delivery on orders over a certain amount
- regular wine tastings
Make sure that you will have enough refrigeration space to offer a wide range of chilled alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, particularly in the summer time.
People have grown used to the high standards of retailing set by the supermarkets and it is important that your business:
- is clean, tidy and professionally fitted out
- is staffed by well trained employees who are knowledgeable about the products you stock
- offers a high standard of customer service
- always sells good quality products - this is particularly important if you decide to sell perishable convenience lines. Be prepared to throw away anything that's past its best
Advertising your services
Whatever services you decide to offer, you must make sure that your potential customers know about you and your product range.
Don't overlook the potential of your window display - an eye-catching, regularly changed display will attract passing trade. You can use your shop window to advertise any special offers or promotions you will make, or to highlight any new services or product ranges you introduce.
You could have a leaflet printed outlining your range of stock and listing trade discounts. You could distribute this to local hotels, guest-houses and restaurants.