Industry sector: Retail and wholesale

Outdoor equipment shop: Licences

What action do I need to take?

Although there are no licensing requirements relating specifically to all outdoor equipment retailers, you should be aware that:

  • if you offer credit facilities to consumers to help spread the cost of high value purchases you will need consumer credit authorisation from the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
  • if background music is provided in the shop you are likely to need a Music Licence from PPL PRS Ltd. There is an annual fee for this which you can pay online on the PPL PRS website

Knife dealer licence

If your business is in Scotland and you sell certain types of non-domestic knife with a blade over a specified length - for example hunting and fishing knives for filleting or divers' safety knives - you'll need to apply for a licence from the local authority. You can find out more on the website.

Licensing of second-hand dealers

You might decide to sell some second-hand equipment. Local authorities in Scotland require second-hand dealers to obtain a licence or registration to operate. This applies unless dealing in second-hand goods is only incidental to the main business activity. Elsewhere in the UK, some local authorities license or register businesses (with certain specific exemptions) where second-hand dealing is the main or a significant part of the business and is not just incidental. If you are in any doubt as to whether second-hand dealer licensing may apply to your business, contact your local authority trading standards department for guidance.