Industry sector: Retail and wholesale

Record shop: Licences

What action do I need to take?

There are no licensing requirements relating specifically to selling recorded music.

You should, however, be aware of the following:

  • if (as is likely) background music is played in the shop, you are likely to need a Music Licence from PPL PRS Ltd. There is an annual fee for this which you can pay online on the PPL PRS website
  • if you show music videos in the shop, then you may need to get an additional licence from VPL (a division of PPL)

Licensing of second-hand dealers

You might decide to sell second-hand music, either as well as or instead of new records. Local authorities in Scotland require second-hand dealers to obtain a licence or registration to operate. This applies unless dealing in second-hand goods is only incidental to the main business activity. Elsewhere in the UK, some local authorities license or register businesses (with certain specific exemptions) where second-hand dealing is the main or a significant part of the business and is not just incidental. If you are in any doubt as to whether second-hand dealer licensing may apply to your business, contact your local authority trading standards department for guidance.